Things to Consider As You Choose a Program
If you are the first in your family to go to college, you are also likely the first to study abroad.
Would you like to retain some cultural similarities? Or would you like a completely different cultural experience?
- Would you feel more comfortable going somewhere closer to the U.S.? Or are you ready to travel as far as Australia and New Zealand?
- How will you involve your family in your decision to study abroad?
- Would you like to choose a study abroad destination where having a job is permitted in order to help finance your semester abroad?
Preparing to Go Abroad
Consider the following to help ease the transition into the culture of your destination.
- How will you keep in touch with family and friends while you are abroad?
- How do you plan to finance your semester abroad?
- How will you incorporate your experiences abroad back into your life at UNT upon your return, especially if this is the first time you have been abroad?
Speak with an Advisor
Do you or your family have any concerns related to study abroad?
- Project Travel Blog – ten tips to consider when telling your parent(s) that you want to study abroad
- Scholarships and Grants – available scholarships and grants at UNT
- Advice from an International Careers Expert & Author – tips from Stacie Berdan on how to budget when considering studying abroad