Qualified non-UNT students from peer institutions and degreed professionals seeking continuing education opportunities are welcome to participate in Faculty Led Programs at the University of North Texas! Opening our programs to outside students and practitioners adds new and diverse perspectives and enhances UNT’s academic community. While not all Faculty Led Programs are able to accept non-UNT participants, many do at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
Who is Eligible?
UNT welcomes non-UNT participants from the following broad categories to participate in select programs:
- Qualified students enrolled as undergraduate or graduate students in an accredited two- or four-year higher education institution.
- Professionals seeking continuing education opportunities are also eligible.
All participants must be 18 or older at time of participation.
- Complete the “transient application” at Apply Texas.
- Start the application process for any program open to Non-UNT students while waiting for admission to UNT. Search and Apply NOW
Once on the program page, click the Apply Now button and select “I do not have credentials to this site” in order to create a profile for yourself.
- Complete all standard application materials and upload the following:
- An unofficial transcript from your home institution
- A letter of recommendation from a professor who knows you well and believes you will be a successful study abroad participant. In the letter, the professor should state how long and in what capacity they have known you (e.g. mentor, advisor, professor for one/two classes, etc.), and why you would be a suitable participant in your chosen program.
- An official letter from your Dean of Students Office stating you are in good conduct standing with your home institution
Professional applicants: Complete all standard application materials and upload a statement of purpose describing your professional interest in participating in your chosen program.
- Complete an interview by phone or by virtual platform with the faculty leader(s) of the program.
- Pay the non-refundable and non-transferable $100 application fee via your online application.
- The UNT Study Abroad Office and the faculty leader(s) will review your application. You application will be accepted, denied, or waitlisted. All decisions are final. If you are not accepted to the program, you will receive a refund of the $100 application fee.
- Confirm your participation by paying the non-refundable, non-transferrable $500 confirmation deposit by the required due date.
- Complete the following additional steps:
- Submit the Medical Information & Request for Accommodations Form. Any accommodations requested will also need to be registered with the UNT Office of Disability Access.
- Make an appointment with your local physician to complete and submit the Health Clearance Form.
- Submit your passport details and upload an image of the photo page of your passport
- Download your UNT travel insurance card.
- Failure to complete the steps above in a timely manner will result in removal from the program. The $100 application fee and the non-refundable, non-transferrable $500 confirmation deposit will not be refunded. For more information, please review the UNT Study Abroad Withdrawal Policy.
- The balance of the program fee will be placed onto your UNT account. The Study Abroad Office will communicate to you the date by which the full balance is due.
- Complete the Study Abroad Online Pre-Departure Orientation and attend in-person or virtually all pre-departure meetings as arranged by your faculty leader(s).
- The Study Abroad Office will register you for the study abroad course(s) and tuition and fees will be billed to your student account. Pay these charges according to UNT’s tuition payment deadlines.
- Failure to complete the steps above will result in removal from the program. The $100 application fee and the non-refundable, non-transferrable $500 confirmation deposit will not be refunded. For more information, please review the UNT Study Abroad Withdrawal Policy.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Non-degree seeking students at UNT not eligible for UNT scholarships or financial aid. Inquire with your home institution about any aid available for external study abroad programs. Your home institution’s financial aid office may also advise you about applying federal financial aid to your program through a financial aid consortium agreement.
Transcripts and Credit
In addition to paying the application, confirmation, and program fees, transient students are required to enroll in and pay tuition for their program course(s) based on their residency. Students may not audit the course. Following the program, you will be notified when grades are posted to your UNT record which may take several weeks. If you plan to transfer the credit to another institution, you must request this through the UNT Office of the Registrar. Your home institution will determine how the credits and grades will transfer.